1st Sunday of Lent homily and reflection (10 March 2019)

Some Notes from the Homily of FR Augustus (or Agusto) Panaligan, Franciscan (as transcribed by Ms. Mao Cardenas). March 10, 2019 (Ms. Cardenas was my teacher during my Junior year in St. Scholastica's College Manila.  She also became my employer when I was a teacher/instructor at her learning center somewhere in Malate, and on a separate instance, in Makati.  Now, she's a choir mate, and one of my good friends who is always worried about me.    I appreciate her a lot.)
source



THE TRANSCRIPTION:
Jesus’ Temptation in the Desert
The more we try to become close to God, the more temptations and challenges we have.


Our temptations are about sonship(we are all sons and daughters of God) - the temptation of our FIDELITY to God.
Christ had the same temptations we had:
(1) Biological - not just temptation of hunger but temptation when there is necessity.
There is something more to life than bread. Bread is not the absolute measure of the children of God.
Are we living only to buy the basic needs. Are we content in buying our basic needs? Do we feel the necessity to go beyond those basic things?
(2) Power and glory - no one is exempted from this temptation - not just the politicians. Why are there so many candidates running for 12 senatorial seats when the salary is not much.
(3) Temptation against the Sonship of Jesus.
Religious temptation - many times we are guilty of the temptation of presumption....Sense of holiness “I am holy”.
“I am stronger”....only to find out at the end we fall. E.g. priests leaving in spite of Masses and prayers etc...
Religiosity is NOT an antidote to temptation. We all have tendency to become complacent.
The grace of God is always there but it is not an automatic antidote.
E.g.Giving in to temptation is like giving in to forbidden food when our cholesterol or sugar is high.   We look, JUSTIFY, taste, eat with statements like ‘Once in a while’, ‘I take medicines’ etc....)
Temptation not good or bad - it is the way we ACT on/react to temptation.
In today’s Gospel...Jesus tempted as man...hunger, man’s need...
We are invited by god to win OVER(overcome) every temptation...
Yes...It is our consolation Jesus understands because He knows what it is to be tempted BUT for every grace, there is a RESPONSIBILITY  to win OVER(overcome) every temptation.

I like that Priest.  Whether he's Fr. Augustus or Augusto or Agusto, I like the fact that he didn't candy-coat anything.  He said things straight...factual.  He admonished people not because of hate, but he just wanted the congregation to learn or relearn...back to the basics.  It all boils down really in how you say things...

I am really grateful to Mao for allowing me to copy-paste her notes, for I couldn't find a pen. I am no longer a spring chicken.  My memory fails me every now and then, but thankfully, I can still remember.  

The homily at Sacred Heart Parish(mass with my family), Alabang, given by a certain Fr.  Ray,  was also beautiful...unfortunately, I wasn't able to take notes.  We should always scribble something, whether we intend to share it to the world or make them just notes to ourselves.


By the way, if and only if you are Roman Catholic, please do learn when to sit, stand, kneel...Answer the priest or commentator...say, "Amen!" audibly before receiving the host. Believe in your heart that the bread transubstantiated into Christ's Body, and the wine transubtatiated into Christ's Blood.

Do not be ashamed of Christ.  


Yes.  It is easier said than done.  A lot of people have died for Christ.  Would we do the same?  I hope to never find out, but I hope I won't be complacent either.



šŸ˜

Thanks for your time.

Comments

Popular Posts