Goodbye, Joanna

Joanna Marie Gandia, my masseuse and friend...gone too soon.
It's been a while since I've written a personal blog entry...personal meaning it's not about a book, something I've watched, a restaurant I've been to, a place I've visited or whatever else...personal meaning it's about my life and the people encircling my life.

There were relatives and other friends who are closer to me that have gone ahead these past few months, but I couldn't write about them.  There were monumental or momentous events that happened in my life, but I just chose not to write about them.  I did not even transcribe online the recent lessons I've learned, but what compelled me to write about Joanna/Wanda/Wandang/Dang/Jet?  

For one reason or another, mom and I suddenly remembered her before the weekend. Today, dad wanted a therapeutic massage.  I could give him that, but I wanted a massage too.  So we called Joanna. No answer.  We sent her text messages.  No answer. We called her again.  No answer.  Ma was furious.  

We called the spa where she works(worked), but we got the shock of our lives when they told me that Joanna died yesterday...

According to her cousin she was ill three days.  It seemed normal at first, so last Saturday she took a client, but after her service she had high fever (relapse) and convulsed. When they brought her to the hospital, she lost oxygen and a vein in her brain popped.  She died Sunday during the wee hours of the morning at the age of 26.

I know Joanna was not a close friend, but she's close enough.  I don't allow just anybody to enter my room, but since she's a trusted masseuse, I let her in.  We talk about anything under the sun...about AlDub...about her crush, Vhong Navarro.

Sigh...

Death really comes like a thief in the night.  Who knows why someone so young was taken by God so early?  She still has a lot of dreams and she never had a boyfriend yet.

Sigh...

Our sympathies and condolences to the Gandia family.


Note:  When someone suddenly crosses our mind, pray for him or her.

Popular Posts