MISUNDERSTOOD (Work of Fiction)

FICTION
_________________
MISUNDERSTOOD
_________________
Lara Mia Veronica
Feb. 16, 1994



PROLOGUE
Eugene Simms' world was about to end that day. His four year old daughter Alyssa was lying on a hospital bed. She was bald. Her once rosy cheeks were as gray as gray could be. Her sparkling almond eyes lost their luster, but she still managed a weak smile.

Edna Simms had a weak heart. She couldn't bear see her once bubbly daughter helpless on her deathbed. All the walls were crashing in.

Alyssa comforted her mother and father.

"Ma....ma....Pa....pa....Don't...cry...I'm going....to see....Je...sus."

This made her parents cry all the more.

"Don't leave us, baby," Eugene pleaded.

Edna could not take it anymore. She knew that Alyssa was about to lose her last breath. She squeezed her husband's hand, kissed Alyssa on her cheek, then walked to the door.

"Ma...ma...don't... go," the little girl cried, but Edna pretended to be deaf and closed the door behind her.

"I ...love...you...pa...pa....I...love...ma...ma...too."

"We know that sweetheart."

"Ma...ma....does...not....love...me?"

"She does, baby, but she can't bear to see you go."

"Can...you?"

"I can't either, but I want to be with you until....."

And then she died.

"No!!!!!!!!"

Edna entered the room wishing it wasn't what she thought, but she saw Alyssa lifeless on her bed. She could not breathe. With a hand on her heart, she collapsed to the floor.

"Edna, don't leave me too!"

Edna was as stiff as stiff could be. This was too much for Eugene.
I

Fifteen years after the fatal death of Edna and dear little Alyssa, Eugene was alone in Alyssa's room. There were lots of balloons and a birthday cake inside the room. Eugene, wearing a party hat, sang Happy Birthday with all his heart.

"My baby, you should have been nineteen now.....how's Jesus? How's Mama?"

But he heard no reply.

He sobs with all his might.

II

Just across Eugene Simms' house there were people moving in. There were a lot of nosy neighbors and some friendly ones too. Alice, a gorgeous 28-year-old woman, greeted them with a smile.

"Beware of Eugene Simms," said a corpulent lady while pointing towards his house.

"Why?" asked Alice.

"He's sort of a hermit."

"What's wrong with that?"

The people went on warning her, but she was uneasy.

"Inday!"

The nanny came in a flash.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Where is Nissa?"
III

Nissa, a feisty little six-year-old girl, was by Alyssa's window. She saw Alyssa's portrait and the man who was celebrating alone. The man looked kind in her eyes. It was the first time she was comfortable to be so near a man.

Then she saw that Alyssa looked just like her.

"Why do I have a picture in this man's house?"
She heard Eugene singing. His voice was mellow and gave her goose bumps in a nice kind of way.

The window was ajar. Nissa tried opening it and when she was unsuccessful, she called Eugene.

"Hey Mister!"

Eugene turned around. He thought he saw his daughter.

He fainted. Nissa tried hard to open the window and this time she was able to.

When Eugene came to his senses he saw Nissa smiling at him.

"Alyssa, my baby, you've come back."

"I'm not Alyssa, but her name sorta rhymes with mine." Eugene was startled. "Is she the one in the picture?"

Eugene sat down.

"You're not Alyssa? Who are you?"

"I'm Nissa Pritchard, your new neighbor."

Nissa looked around the beautiful room and was awe struck.

"What expensive toys!"

"Pick one you like."

"Really?"

"Really."


Photo included two decades after this was written


Nissa got the Laura Ashley Mother-daughter doll set. "These are new, right? Did she die just recently?"

"No, but I buy her a new toy every year."

"Let go and let God."

"Coming from a four year old..."

"I'm six."

"You are?"

"I'm just too cute, that's why people think I'm four."

Eugene smiled. He liked this girl.

"Nissa, you can call me Uncle Eugene."

"That would be nice....I don't have any uncles."

"You don't?"

"Both my parents are only children."

"I hope I could meet your parents one day."

"Only my mom's around....My dad died a month before I was born."

"I'm sorry...so we're both orphans?"

"Yup....kindred spirits."

"Where do you learn those stuff you say?"

"I'm a brilliant child. I'm a candidate for Mensa."

Eugene's whole spirit became alive again. He thanked the Lord silently for this little angel in front of him.

"Nissa!"

That call came from outside.

"U-oh. That's Inday, my Nanny."

"I think you better go."

"I think so too. It's been a pleasure meeting you!"

She was about to pass through the window again when Eugene stopped her.

"You can pass through the front door this time, young lady."

She chuckled lightly.

"Thanks for the dolls."

"Don't mention it."
IV

Inday was glistening, but she was relieved to see Nissa coming out of Eugene's door.

"Did she bother you, sir?"

"No, she actually added melody to my unharmonious life."

"She almost gave me a nervous breakdown. Her mother is also worried sick."

"I got attracted to the landscape and the flowers. Look, isn't beautiful?"

Inday nods.

"Still, you should've asked permission first."

Nissa changed the course of discussion. "Uncle Eugene, meet Inday, my nanny. Inday, this is Uncle Eugene."

Inday smiled and accepted Eugene's extended hand. A few seconds later, Alice came out with her hands on her waist.

"What are you doing here, young lady?"

"It's okay Mrs. Pritchard. Nissa just came by to visit."

"And you're?"

Like any gentleman Eugene introduced himself. He talked with such grace that all the doubts their neighbors were spreading were gone with the wind.

"Please come inside for coffee."

Eugene accepted the gracious offer. Nissa was so thrilled that her mother was finally talking to a man.

V

Nissa became a frequent visitor at Eugene's place and vice-versa. Sometimes, Inday would tag along with Nissa, but most of the time, Nissa played with Eugene alone.

The neighbors thought there was something wrong with their unadulterated friendship and had a meeting behind their backs.

"Eugene Simms hated everybody...even the children, then suddenly he emulates Silas Marner."

A kind neighbor added, "Silas Marner was a miser! Eppie changed his life.  Who knows..."

Those words landed on deaf ears.

"Let's let our children play with the poor kid."

"I wish it weren't summer so she could be in school."

The people went on and on and on.

VI

Inside a cafe Eugene and his best friend Gerard were talking over cups of coffee.

"I'm glad to see you change your disposition at the office....Our personnel aren't afraid to approach you anymore."

"Alice and Nissa really changed my life."

"I'm really glad that you're in love. You're back to normal."

"Am I that obvious?"

"For fifteen years you were a grumpy boss."
Eugene smiled.

"Edna will always be in my heart, but Alice....well she woke up my heart from its long slumber."

"Yeah...you've been competing with that Sleeping Lion at Switzerland."

"Was that lion sleeping? It looked dead to me."

"You're digressing....tell me more."

Three neighbors entered as Eugene said, "Nissa also filled the void in my life"

They left the place abruptly before they could even hear Eugene longing for his daughter Alyssa.

The two best buds went on with their conversation.

VII

Eugene was doing a crossword puzzle when he heard the doorbell ring. A tearful Alice enters the door.

"What's wrong?"

"I heard the rumors about you and Nissa."

"What rumors?"

"That...."

Unspoken words were understood.

"God! I'm not like that."

"I know."

They held each other tight for what seemed like an eternity.
VIII

"Those #@@#$$$%%^! Counter the smear campaign!" An angry Gerard shouted.

"I'm not guilty of anything."

"I know....those are your neighbors for decades now. Can't they see that Nissa is Alyssa's ringer?"

"Most of them came after Edna's and Alyssa's death.....and the others are too old to remember Alyssa's face."

"What are your plans?"

"I'll just take Nissa's advice."

"And that's....?"

"Let go and let God."

Gerard nodded in approval. The two of them bowed down their heads and lifted the problem to the Lord.
IX

Nissa was playing with her Laura Ashley doll with Inday when kids from the neighborhood approached her.

"Hi Nissa....can we be friends?"

"Sure...why not?"

They let her join them to the playground. She looked at Inday then Inday smiled. That meant yes to Nissa.

She never enjoyed playing with kids her age before because she was smarter than most of them, but these kids really knew the meaning of fun.

Upon reaching home, Nissa was catching her breath.

"You should play with us more often, Nissa."

"That would be nice," said Nissa.

"Yeah, so that you won't need to hang around Mr. Simms anymore."

X


"They were trying to protect me from Uncle Eugene, mom."

"Did they tell you why?"

"They don't know. They are just following orders from their parents.".

"This has gone too far already....drastic action must take place."

"What's going on?"

"You're a smart girl..." Alice told her everything in a way a young girl would understand, smart or not.

XI

"One thousand signatures for a single cause?" asked the deputy.

"Please deputy, the child's crying for help," said a housewife.

"If people around her couldn't provide it, then we are here to do their jobs," said another.

"Aren't you people overreacting?"

The people started to bombard him with words we don't want to hear.

"All right, I'll send someone soon."

"A.S.A.P," chorused the people.

"A.S.A.P," cried the exasperated officer.

XII

Nissa was reading a book when the kids approached her again.

"Hi Nissa, come play with us."

She smiled and joined them again. They ran to the park and played catch. Moments later a police car arrived.

XIII

"And I thought this was a friendly neighborhood. I shouldn't have bought that house."

"Now that's unfair....you mean to say that meeting me is just like having a side-effect?"

Alice's face was blank.

"Everything has a purpose, Alice....I used to have lost faith in God and myself, but then you and Nissa came along."

"I'm sorry, Eugene."

"I love you Alice."

"I love you too....I never thought I'd love another man after Jamie died."

"I never thought I could love anybody again....Gerard was the only friend left and I thank God I found you."

They were about to embrace when a panting Inday came.

XIV

Alice, Eugene and Inday were now at the park.

"It's all right, mom....I'm fine. I told the cops everything. Uncle Eugene's name is cleared."

"The nerve of you..."Alice was starting to shout at the nosy people.

"Don't get mad at them....we should thank them."

"Thank them?"

"Yes, because they only wanted to protect me."

All of the neighbors who were gathered round Nissa were so embarrassed. They begged their forgiveness then hurried home.

"Sorry Mr. Simms," said a female officer:

"It's alright."

After the cops left Nissa asked, "So Uncle Eugene, are you going to be my dad yet?"

"Nissa!"

"It's up to your mom."

"Mom?"

"Yes."

Nissa's heart was filled with glee, but it could not compare to the joy dancing inside Eugene's soul.

He hoped and prayed that it was the start of a beautiful family.

It would definitely a team work.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. 

Comments

Popular Posts